The Chamoli in Uttarakhand is said to be able to attract any visitor with its mystic charm and pristine natural beauty. The lush green hilly forests are the real paradise for trekking, mountain climbing, and hiking. Little villages like Mana village and Niti village(last Indian villages) etc. scattered around the International border with Tibet and climatic cardinalities fulfill the journey with sweet and lovable memories.
Badrinath: Badrinath, one of the Char Dhams of Uttarakhand, is an important pilgrim center of the country. It is flanked by the Nar and Narayan two mountains around, while the Neelkanth Peak forms a splendid backdrop.
Gopeshwar: The picturesque town of Gopeshwar is famous for the Gopinath Temple, which is an ancient Shiv temple. The main attractions of Gopeshwar are Shiv temple, Vaitarni Kund(a group of temples without idols) and Oak View, Degree college, etc.
Govind Ghat: It is set on the junction of the Alaknanda River and Bhyundar or Lakshman Ganga. There is a big Gurudwara here.
Nanda Devi Raj Jat Yatra: Internationally renowned festival which is held after every 12 years and celebration keeps on for 3 weeks. Nanda Devi Raj Jat Yatra is a 280 Km trek that starts from Nauti village(which lies in Karanprayag) to the peaks of Hemkund or Roopkund.
Nandaprayag: It is the junction of the Alaknanda River and Mandakini, which is 21 Km far away from Karanprayag on the main road route to Badrinath. The Famous Gopalji temple is situated in Nandaprayag. The Fair is hosted here on the occasion of Baisakhi and Janmasthami.
The Panch Prayag: “Panch Prayag ” or the 5 most sacred river junctions of the Garhwal Himalayas having religious importance. The five Prayags are Karanprayag, Nandaprayag, Vishnuprayag, Rudraprayag and Devprayag, three of the prayags are situated in the Chamoli district.
Karnaprayag: Karanprayag town is situated on the sacred junction of Alaknanda and Pindar River(Pindari), a town named on behalf of Lord Karna of Mahabharata. Karna Temple is there and the Uma Devi Temple. It is believed that Lord Surya(Sun) gifted Kavach, Kundal and Tuneer to Kartna at Karnaprayag. Karanprayag town has its historic importance from the centuries. There are some beautiful places to visit near Karanprayag you can visit like Nauti village, Simli town Benital etc.
Auli: Famous for winter games and picnic spots, world-class winter games and skiing resort, which is 12 Km from Joshimath. The 4Km long ropeway is one of the longest rope ways in India and a 3 Km long slope ranging from a height of 2519 meters is a major attraction. There are many other locations to visit in Auli you can go to.
Best time to visit Chamoli
The best time to visit Chamoli is in Winters(from November to February) to see the pure natural beauty of mountains here when they get covered with snow. The places in Chamoli can be the perfect winter destinations for you and your loved ones. Weather in the Chamoli district continuously changes in the rainy season from June to August. So you should check weather and weather reports of Chamoli before planning a tour so that you don’t have to face any problem in between like road blocks etc.
How to Reach Chamoli?
- By Road: Chamoli district is well-connected to all the road routes, with important cities and towns of Uttarakhand, like Delhi, Uttar – Pradesh and Punjab State.
- By Train: The nearest railway station is located at Rishikesh(202 Km), Haridwar is another station near to Rishikesh.
- By Air: The nearest airport to Chamoli is Gauchar Airport and then Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun(221 Km), Public transport and private cabs are available from Airport to Chamoli. To avail the heli services from Dehradun to Gauchar you have to book online at Pawan Hans official website.
Stats of Chamoli District
- District Headquarters: Gopeshwar, Chamoli
- Population of Chamoli district: 3,91,114
- Languages are spoken in Chamoli: Garhwali, Hindi, Kumaoni
- Best season to visit Chamoli: Throughout the year(we will recommend visiting Chamoli in Winters to see the pure beauty of mountains here when they get snow covered)
- Literacy rate: 76.25%
- Area: 7951 sq Km
- Altitude: 1300 meter