Haridwar – Dharmnagri Gateway to Land of Gods
As you enter the Dharmnagri Haridwar you will be welcomed with the sound of temple bells. Haridwar city has religious importance as the River Ganga enters the plains of Northern India for the first time in Haridwar. It is also known by the former name “Gangadwara ”.
Haridwar is one of the seven holiest places of India, it is also known by the name Hardwar or Hari – Dwar.
Importance and History of Haridwar
Haridwar is made up of two words Hari (means Lord Vishnu) and Dwara (meaning gate) so Haridwar stands for “The Gateway to Lord Vishnu”. It is also an entry point to Char Dham which are Badrinath, Kedarnath, Gangotri and Yamunotri. With Nasik, Ujjain, Allahabad, Haridwar is the fourth one important pilgrimage centre of India, where Kumbh Mela is celebrated after every 3 years. Maha Kumbh Mela will be held in Haridwar in 2022. Haridwar is also known by the names the Gangadwara, Mayapuri and Mokshadwar in ancient writings.
According to Hindu mythology, during the Samudra Manthan the precious drops of Amrit that were accidentally spilt at four places i.e. Ujjain, Nasik, Allahabad and Haridwar. To commemorate this event, Maha Kumbh Mela and Kumbh Mela are celebrated once in 12 years and in 3 years at one of the four holy places respectively. It is believed that Brahma Kund is the place in Haridwar where the drops of elixir fell.
Haridwar Business Hub and Industrial Town of Uttarakhand
Haridwar is an ancient city and is one of the 13 districts of Uttarakhand. It is the largest city of Haridwar district. This holy place is developing in industrial estate as the State Industrial Development of Uttarakhand(SIDCUL), BHEL(Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited), Patanjali Ayurved and many other companies and industries are here.
Travel Tips and Guide to Haridwar
- Ganga Aarti takes place every evening at the bank of the holy river Ganga in Har Ki Paudi one shouldn’t miss this.
- Photography is prohibited somewhere inside the temples but is allowed outside everywhere, so please follow the guidelines.
- Please don’t carry non-vegetarian and alcoholic beverages together. There are no liquor shops in Haridwar in case you are wondering.
For what Haridwar is famous for?
- Haridwar is famous for Dharmnagri, Pilgrimage.
- It is recommended as a destination for Kids and Family, Couples, Solo and all.
- Haridwar is a popular destination for the following activities: Dharmnagri, Mayapuri, Char Dham Route, Business Hub, Kumbh Mela, Temples etc.
- Temperature: 27 (Max) and 13 (Min) in March
- Location: Haridwar, Garhwal
- Stay (Recommended): 2 or 3 Days
- Nearest Railway Station: Haridwar
- Nearest Airport: Jolly Grant Airport, Dehradun (36 Km)
- Famous for: Dharm Nagri, Temples, Mansa Devi, Pilgrimage
- Best times to visit: February, March, April, May, June, September, October, November and December