19 Winter Destinations in Uttarakhand
Places in Uttarakhand during Winters
As you all know, we get tired and irritated from the summers due to the harsh heat. Winters are best for visiting because most of the hill stations get snowfalls and we can enjoy them there. In winter, the hilly regions of almost all the state get covered with snow. Are you searching for the best winter destinations in Uttarakhand? So here is your winter destination list. We all know that Uttarakhand is a beautiful state with lots of destinations for summers and winters as well. Below is the complete travel guide to the different places to visit in Uttarakhand during winters where you can visit and enjoy the beauty of nature and spend your quality time with your loved ones or solo. So let’s see those places where you can go in winter.
Best Places to visit in Uttarakhand in Winters
From Mussoorie to Chopta, Chamoli to Auli there are a lot of places to visit in Uttarakhand during winters as well as in summer. So for all you guys who are tired from summer’s harsh heat waves and sweating, here are some best destinations you can visit in winter. Here is the list of places to visit in Uttarakhand in winter with your loved ones.
1 – Chopta – Mini Switzerland of Uttarakhand
Chopta is a beautiful hill station also known as the mini Switzerland of Uttarakhand. It is one of the most popular winter as well as summer destinations among youngsters. Chopta is a must visiting place when you are planning to visit Uttarakhand in winter. Trekking in winter can be a fun and beautiful experience for all, so to experience this feeling, Chopta valley can be the best winter destination for you.
The cost of a trip to Chopta is not so expensive. You can complete your journey in under 10K if you are a resident of Delhi. If you are travelling with your personal vehicle like a bike or car it will be more cost-effective and funnier and you will experience every point of the route to the Chopta valley. You can hire a taxi for the Uttarakhand tour visit.
How to reach Chopta
- By Air: Located around 226 km away in Dehradun, Jolly Grant Airport is the nearest to Chopta. From here, private taxis and even direct bus options are available.
- By Rail: Haridwar and Rishikesh are the two closest railway stations to Chopta. More preferred is the railway station of Haridwar since it connects with major Indian cities.
- By Road: Motorable roads are convenient to get to Chopta, you have to follow NH 58 from Rishikesh/Haridwar to Rudraprayag, after this, change your route towards Ukhimath. Chopta is around 40 km from Ukhimath. There are buses to Srinagar and Rudraprayag from where one can hire a cab to reach Chopta. Bus and cab options are also available from all major cities in Uttarakhand.
Auli is the other most visited winter destination of Uttarakhand during winters as well as the snowfall place of Uttarakhand. Auli is famous for the hill station, skiing destination, rope way, Auli artificial lake as well as the honeymoon destination for couples. Auli hill station is a beautiful destination in the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand where you can enjoy the beauty of nature.
The beauty of the hill station enhances during winters due to the snowfall there and when the sun rays fall on those snow-covered slopes in Auli that feeling is amazing. You will feel this when you visit Auli in winter.
It can be the perfect winter destination for you when you are planning to visit Chamoli in the winter season.
How to reach Auli
- By air: Jolly Grant Airport (279 km away) is the nearest airport. Taxis are available from the airport to Auli.
- By rail: Nearest railhead is Raiwala near Rishikesh (250 km away).
- By road: Buses ply regularly between Joshimath and Rishikesh. Auli to Joshimath is approximately 15 km.
Mussoorie – The Queen of Hills
Mussoorie also known as the Queen of Hills is the most visited hill station of Uttarakhand, especially during winters. Mussoorie is famous for its hill station, snowfall, honeymoon destination, tiger falls, expensive international schools, and many more activities you can do in Mussoorie.
Generally, Mussoorie gets crowded in all the months of the year. But the crowd increases during winters. Due to the snowfall and hill station visitors visit Mussoorie in a heavy number during the winters. So it is a recommended destination in winter for couples especially.
But make sure to book the hotels in advance because due to the crowd you can face problems with accommodations in Mussoorie. And it will be the perfect trip for you if you go in your own vehicle while enjoying the road trip to Mussoorie.
How to reach Mussoorie
- By air: Jolly Grant Airport, located 22 km east of Dehradun, is the nearest airport. You can take a bus or a private cab to Mussoorie.
- By rail: Dehradun Railway Station is the nearest railhead.
- By road: Dehradun and Mussoorie are well linked with a network of bus services. You can also drive as the roads are decently maintained.
Tungnath is famous for being the highest Shiva temple in the world. It is also the most visited place in Uttarakhand during winters. As the whole area gets covered with snow, the beauty of Tungnath is enhanced more. Chopta the other destination is also near to it you can visit there also during the same trip.
Mainly you will see the ancient Shiva temple there and some beautiful and highest peaks and mountains all around the area like Chaukhamba summit etc.
It is not a picnic place it is a pilgrimage site so remember that in your mind before doing some other activities there.
How to reach Tungnath
- By Air: Located around 226 km away in Dehradun, Jolly Grant Airport is the nearest to Chopta. From here private taxis and even direct bus options are available.
- By Rail: Harhaidwar and Rishikesh are the two closest railway stations to Chopta. More preferred is the railway station of Haridwar since it connects with major Indian cities.
- By Road: Motorable roads are convenient to get to Chopta, you have to follow NH 58 from Rishikesh/Haridwar to Rudraprayag, after this, change your route towards Ukhimath. Chopta is around 40 km from Ukhimath. There are buses till Srinagar and Rudraprayag from where one can hire a cab to reach Chopta. Bus and cabs options are also available from all major cities in Uttarakhand.
Chamba – Kanatal and Dhanaulti
Chamba is a small town located in the Tehri Garhwal district of Uttarakhand, near Mussoorie. It is basically a hilly town famous for trekking, adventure sports, rappelling, and camping as well. Chamba-Kanatal-Dhanaulti is a worthy place to visit in Uttarakhand in November and December months with friends and family.
How to Reach Chamba-Kanatal and Dhanaulti
- By air: Jolly Grant Airport, which is 83 km away from Dhanaulti, is the nearest airport.
- By rail: Dehradun (60 km from Dhanaulti) is the nearest railhead.
- By road: Cabs are easily available from Mussoorie and Rishikesh. Dhanaulti to Kanatal is a 40-minute drive and reaching Chamba takes another half an hour.
Nainital – Lake city of Uttarakhand
Everybody knows about Nainital and also the beauty of the pristine lake Naini Lake here. Where thousands of visitors visit per month every season almost. But for newly married couples and families, it is the best place to visit in winter in Uttarakhand.
It is the best place to see snowfall as well as famous for boating, shopping, camping and trekking. There are many other beautiful locations nearby Nainital where you can also visit.
How to Reach Nainital
- By Air: Pantnagar Airport is the closest airport to reach Nainital, located 67 km away.
- By Rail: Haldwani and Kathgodam are two railway stations for people traveling to Nainital that are located 40 km.
- By Road: Local and private taxis and buses ply on a regular basis from Haldwani, Kathgodam, and Pantnagar to Nainital.
Almora is one of the smallest districts of the Kumaon region of Uttarakhand state. Almora is a hilly area, mainly famous for the temple of Chitai Golu Devta. It is the most visited place among couples, and families as well as kids in the Kumaon region after Nainital.
How to Reach Almora
- By Air: The closest airport to Ranikhet is located in Pantnagar at a distance of 109 km.
- By Rail: Haldwani and Kathgodam are two railway stations near Ranikhet located 82 km.
- By Road: Buses are available till Almora from there you can hire a cab to Ranikhet.
Rudraprayag district is mainly famous for the char Dham site, Kedarnath temple. There are many other locations to visit in Rudraprayag for solo, couples, kids as well as families. Like Koteshwar Mahadev temple is also a famous temple in Rudraprayag, Kartikswami and many more places are there to visit in.
How to reach Rudraprayag
- By air: Jolly Grant Airport (160 km away) is the nearest airport.
- By rail: The nearest railhead is in Rishikesh (140 km away).
- By road: Buses and taxis are available from Dehradun, Haridwar, Rishikesh, Tehri Garhwal, Pauri, Srinagar, and Delhi.
Kartikswami the temple of Lord Kartikey is located in the Rudraprayag district of Uttarakhand state near the Pokhari region. This place is the perfect winter destination as well as a summer also. Hundreds of people visit the Kartikswami temple every week. There are many things to do in Kartikswami as you have to travel a 3Km trek to Kartikswami. Along the route, you will see many kinds of birds and plants. The most famous trees there are Burans(a famous pahadi flower tree which is also used for making juice). This place is a pilgrimage site for Hindus and is famous for the Kartikswami temple. Birdwatchers come here in large amounts every year during the migration season of birds.
The best thing you can see here is the 360-degree view of the Himalayan ranges around you and the most beautiful sunset of your life.
How to reach Kartik Swami Temple
- By Air: Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun is the closest airport and from here private taxis and even bus options are available to Haridwar – Rishikesh. Further, changing to a shared taxi for Rudraprayag to KanakChauri Village.
- By Rail: Haridwar is the preferred place to halt while on your way to Kartik Swami Temple. You can get taxis to Rudraprayag, further changing to another shared transport to Kanak Chauri Village.
- By Road: You can take a shared taxi from Rudraprayag to Kanak Chauri Village which is around 40 kilometers. There are bus options also from Haridwar to Rudraprayag, for a cheaper means to travel, however, the timings may vary. You will find staying at Kanakchauri easily.
Deoriatal trek or lake is also the best winter trek and lake destination for solo, groups, friends, or family also. Deoriatal is mainly famous for the pristine lake perched at a height of approx 3Kms above the Sari village(from where the trek to Deoriatal lake starts). You will see many kinds of different species of trees and plants, as well as different kinds of birds. It is the perfect destination for trekkers, bird watchers, photographers, and nature lovers.