Tourist Places to Visit in Uttarakhand
Want to enjoy the majestic views of the Himalayas, then why not visit Uttarakhand? Uttarakhand is a beautiful hilly state of India where hundreds of beautiful places to visit. Uttarakhand is a state of sublime natural beauty and serene spirituality. Every year, thousands of tourists visit Uttarakhand. With some beautiful places to visit in Uttarakhand, you can enjoy the precious free time of your life and create beautiful memories alone or with your loved ones in the valleys and treks of Uttarakhand.
Summers are coming to check the best summer destinations in Uttarakhand.
Best Places to Visit in Uttarakhand
Want to visit the best places in Uttarakhand? Here is a list of the best places to visit in Uttarakhand. You will definitely enjoy the Uttarakhand tour visit. Let’s have a look at the best Uttarakhand tourist places.
Read also: Places to visit in Himachal Pradesh
1 – Nainital and Ranikhet
Nainital is one of the best places to visit in Uttarakhand and a popular gateway for newly married couples and families. Nainital is located by the famous Naini Lake in the valley which is surrounded by beautiful mountains on all sides where you can enjoy the majestic beauty of nature. There is much more to explore in Nainital. You will find some interesting tourist places in Nainital. Nainital and Ranikhet are the 2 places to visit in Uttarakhand during the monsoon.
- A perfect destination for – Honeymoon couples, office goers, couples, and families
- Best time to visit Nainital and Ranikhet – All around the year
- Ideal duration to stay – 4 to 5 days
- How to reach Nainital – Nainital doesn’t have any direct access to air connectivity. The nearest railway station is located at a distance of 34 Km is Kathgodham. It takes approx 7 hours to reach Nainital from Delhi.
- Places to stay – Hotel Chandra Inn Royal Rose, Kainchi Dham Hilly Homestay, The Manu Maharani, The Naini Retreat
2 – Rishikesh and Haridwar
Rishikesh and Haridwar are other must-visit places in Uttarakhand. Rishikesh is known as the Adventure and Yoga capital of the world. Haridwar is a holy place where tourists get enchanted by the rustic touch and spiritual energy of the place and its surroundings. Rishikesh is considered to be one of the best exotic places to visit in Uttarakhand. Some of the thrilling activities to do in Rishikesh are rafting in Rishikesh, Bungee jumping, Mountain biking, and many more.
- A perfect destination for – Friends, Couples, Groups, and Families
- Best time to visit Rishikesh – Any time of the year but not in monsoons
- Ideal duration to stay – 3 to 4 days
- How to reach Rishikesh and Haridwar – The nearest Airport is Jolly Grant Dehradun. The railway line connects both Rishikesh and Haridwar
- Things to do – Take part in the Ganga aarti in Haridwar, holy dip in the sacred water of the river Ganga, visit the Ashrams in Rishikesh, go for a water sports adventure in Rishikesh and trek the hills
- Places to Stay – Shaantam Resorts and Spa, Shiv Shakti Hostel, Om Shivaay Inn, Swiss Cottage Rishikesh, Hill Top Swiss Cottage
3 – Dehradun and Mussoorie
Dehradun is the capital of Uttarakhand state, from here you can see the majestic view of the Himalayan ranges and river Ganga flowing on either side of the whole city. Mussoorie (Queen of Hills) is located at a distance of 38 Km from Dehradun. So if you are in Dehradun or Planning to visit Dehradun then you must consider Mussoorie visit. It’s such a beautiful location, especially in winter. Mussoorie is one of the best honeymoon destinations for newly married couples. Every year, hundreds of couples from different India and from other countries come here. The Queen of Hills is a famous Uttarakhand destination. India’s top English medium schools are located in Mussoorie and many other popularities make this the most beautiful place in Uttarakhand. There are many other beautiful places in Mussoorie you can visit.
- A perfect destination for – Newly married couples(honeymooners), family, groups, and friends
- Best time to visit Mussoorie – During winters to enjoy the beauty of nature(December to February)
- Best time to visit Dehradun – All around the year
- How to reach Dehradun – Mussoorie- Dehradun is well connected with national highways, railways, and 1 Airport. It takes around 5 hours to reach Dehradun from Delhi via road. Mussoorie is 38 Km from Dehradun and it is just an hour’s journey.
- Things to do in Dehradun – Visit National Parks, Benong Hill, and Jwalaji Temple, Monastery, Resorts, and FRII(Forest Research Institute) Dehradun, Chakrata Road, AruBhi Cottage, Hotel Relax, Tapasya Home Stay, FabHotel Invitation, and many more.
4 – Auli
Auli is another best destination for a Honeymoon and the best winter destination in Uttarakhand. Auli is also popular for sky games during the winters and the highest man-made artificial lake. Every year hundreds and thousands of tourists visit here from India and different countries as well. If you are looking for the best tourist places in Uttarakhand, then you must add Auli to your travel list. Auli offers a panoramic view of the great Mighty Himalayas. The view of the snow-capped peaks around Auli gives a pleasing feeling to our eyes and heart as well. The beauty of Auli and around it will make your day. This is one of the most beautiful Uttarakhand tourist places. Auli is a highly recommended destination for mountain lovers. Skiing – it is one of the best locations for snowboarding and skiing in India.
- A perfect destination for – Honeymooners, Ski enthusiasts, Nature lovers, Photographers, Mountain lovers, mountain sports activities
- Ideal duration to stay – 4 to 5 days.
- Best time to visit Auli – During winters we recommend( June to November as also ideal months to visit)
- How to reach Auli – The nearest Aiport and Railway station to reach Auli is located in Dehradun. From Dehradun, it will take around 7 to 8 hours to reach Auli via road.
- Things to do in Auli – Skiing, Snowboarding, Enjoy beautiful views of majestic Himalayas
- Places to stay in Auli – Dwarika, Kanasar Ecolodge, Apple Farm Stay, Zostel Homes Kothai, Barahbeesh Villa
5 – Almora – Famous Offbeat Places
Almora is one of the best offbeat places to visit in Uttarakhand from Uttarakhand’s points of interest, especially in summer to escape the heat. That’s why during the British period when they ruled India, some important offices were located here because of the cool and pleasant weather of Almora. Almora is a recommended destination for mountain lovers. This romantic destination will make you fall in love with its beauty. This is one of the most beautiful places in Uttarakhand.
- A perfect destination for – Romantic couples, solo travelers, adventure folks
- Best time to visit Almora – Anytime throughout the year(avoid in Monsoons)
- Ideal duration to stay – 3 to4 days
- How to reach Almora – The nearest Aiport to Almora is Pantnagar which is at a distance of 116 Km away and the nearest railway station is Kathgodam which is 90 Km away.
- Things to do in Almora – Shop for handicraft products, trek, enjoy natural sightseeing and birdwatching
- Places to stay in Almora – Stars and Pines, Hotel Kausani Retreat, Jungle House Homestay, Kasar Himalaya Holiday Home
6 – Chakrata – Beautiful Hilltown
Chakrata is a small and secluded hill town and is an ideal place for those people who are looking for a silent place and enjoying the beauty of the hills. Chakrata is one of the best places to see in Uttarakhand. Postcard size houses, serene quaint hills with birds chirping in the background. If you are a peace lover and birdwatcher, then Chakrata could be your dream destination. Chakrata is one of the most beautiful places to visit in Uttarakhand. During winter, the beauty of Chakrata is enhanced due to snowfall. If you want to enjoy snowfall in Chakrata then December and January are the best months to visit Chakrata. It is one of the best winter destinations in Uttarakhand.
- A perfect destination for – Solo travelers, couples, birdwatchers, peace lovers, nature lovers
- Best time to visit Chakrata – If you want to enjoy snowfall in Chakrata then December to February are the ideal months.
- Ideal duration to stay – 3 to 4 days
- How to reach Chakrata – The nearest railway station is at Dehradun and it takes 2 hours to reach Chakrata from the Dehradun railway station. The nearest Aiport to Chakrata is at Jolly Grant Dehradun.
- Things to do in Chakrata – Visit Tiger falls, Budher Caves, Enjoy the pleasing weather and atmosphere of Chakrata
- Places to stay in Chakrata – Hotel Himalayan Foxhole, Water valley resort Gwasapull, Vertical Valley resort, Stunning hills
7 – Chopta – Mini Switzerland of Uttarakhand
Chopta is a hill station in Uttarakhand which is also known as the Mini Switzerland of Uttarakhand. It is located at an elevation of 2,680 m from sea level. Chopta is the base point for the famous treks to Tungnath temple and Chandrashilla and is the best place to see in Uttarakhand. The location offers a 360-degree panoramic view of the majestic Himalayan range and other mountains including the Trishul mountains, Nanda Devi peak, and Chaukhamba peaks. Trekking to these places is the best thing to do in Chopta. For mountain and peace lovers, Chopta is a must-visit place.
- A perfect destination for – Adventure bugs, photographers, friends, groups, honeymooners, trekkers
- Ideal duration to stay – 4 to 5 days
- Best time to visit Chopta – During winters is the best time to visit Chopta(December to February are the best months to visit Chopta)
- How to reach Chopta – The nearest airport of Jolly Grant, which is at a distance of 221 Km. The nearest railway station is in Rishikesh, which is at a distance of 202 Km. Chopta is well-connected with roads from all the major cities like Rishikesh, Srinagar Garhwal, Pauri, Rudraprayag, and Karanprayag.
- Things to do in Chopta – Trekking, Photography, Camping
- Places to stay in Chopta – Akashdeep Resort Chopta, Hotel Govind, Villotale Chopta CHC, Dwarahat house
8 – Lansdowne – Hill station and best picnic destination
The beautiful hilly town of Lansdowne has historic importance the town was founded by the Viceroy of India in the British Era and it is considered to be one of the most beautiful places to visit in Uttarakhand. The city is known for its cold weather even in summers as well, that’s why Britishers decided to found a town here. Lansdowne is a popular picnic destination for those who wish to have a quiet time in the hills. Other popular things to do in Lansdowne are trekking, nature walking, nature photography, and camping.
- A perfect destination for – Family, Campers, Trekkers, Nature lovers, and photographers, friends, and couples
- Ideal duration to stay – 3 to 4 days are enough to explore Lansdowne
- Best time to visit Lansdowne – April to June
- How to reach Lansdowne – Kotdwar is the nearest railway station which is at a distance of 1 hour from Lansdowne.
- Things to do in Lansdowne – Nature walk, visit nearby towns and museums, beautiful viewpoints, Enjoy the beauty of nature
- Places to stay in Lansdowne – The Alpine Resort, Hills of Adventure, Vacation Rental Lansdowne, Samskara & Samsara Resort Lansdowne
9 – Valley of Flowers and Hemkund Sahib – Paradise for Nature lovers and Photographers
The Valley of flowers is one of the most beautiful places to visit in Chamoli Uttarakhand. If you are a nature lover, peace lover, or photographer then you must visit the valley of flowers which is near Hemkund Sahib. The journey to the valley of flowers is full of adventure, and trekking for lazy people is not recommended. Hemkund Sahib is a paradise for peace and nature lovers. The trek to Hemkund Sahib and the Valley of flowers is so beautiful and a great place for trekking. Hemkund Sahib is a holy place for the Sikh community and one of the best Uttarakhand destinations.
- A perfect destination for – Trekkers, couples, flower and nature lovers, photographers, families, and friends
- Best time to visit Valley of Flowers and Hemkund Sahib – July to September
- Ideal duration – 3 to 4 days
- How to reach Hemkund Sahib and valley of flowers – The nearest Airport to Valley of Flowers and Hemkund Sahib is Jolly Grant airport which is at a distance of 149 Km from the Hemkund Shrine.
- Things to do – Visit the valley of flowers, trekking, go to Hemkund Shrine
- Places to stay – Kuber Annex, Hotel Himalayan Holidays, OM Kuteer, Hotel Kuber, Bhumika Guest House.
10 – Mukteshwar
Mukteshwar is a small town in Uttarakhand, located around 50 Km from Nainital. Mukteshwar offers a beautiful view of the Himalayan ranges and fun adventure sports. The major attractions in Mukteshwar are lush greenery and narrow lanes, rolling meadows, picturesque orchards, and little cottages where you can stay. So if you are an adventure sports lover then you must consider this place if you are planning to visit Uttarakhand. Mukteshwar is one of the most visited and best places to visit in Uttarakhand.
- A perfect destination for – Trekking, Rappeling, and rock climbing
- Ideal duration – 1 to 2 days
- Best time to visit Mukteshwar – October to June
- How to reach Mukteshwar – The nearest railway station to Mukteshwar is Kathgodam which is 62 Km away and the nearest airport is Jolly Grant in Dehradun. You can easily get taxis and shareable Max from the airport to Mukteshwar.
- Things to do in Mukteshwar – Visit Mukteshwar temple, Trekking, Rock climbing, enjoy beautiful views of the Himalayan ranges
- Places to stay in Mukteshwar – Vallet View Homestay, Ojaswi Himalayan Resort, Enchanted Hills, SHIVAYA – The Home Within